OR Tambo Car Hire
No more counters, no more queues.
Get a quote or make a booking via our site or visit Woodford for Car Hire in South Africa.
If you don’t want to book online we have a 24 hour reservations call centre that can provide you with a quote based on your needs.
Reservations number 0860 966 33673
About Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Welcome to Johannesburg - the heartbeat of the country. It's the economic and cultural centre of South Africa, where people work hard and play even harder. Everyone is on the move here, from doing serious business to hitting the city's nightspots until late. Joburg is a dynamic cosmopolitan city with great places to eat, interesting sites to visit and a good range of places to stay.
Johannesburg is situated in the heart of Gauteng, towards the North of South Africa, just a 1 hour flight from Durban and 2 hours from Cape Town. Johannesburg’s OR Tambo Airport is located around 30-45 minutes from most major parts of the city.
Johannesburg’s location in the Highveld ensures favourable weather throughout the year. The Summer days are pleasantly hot, evenings are comfortably cool and brief thundershowers are characteristic of this time of year. Winter days are warm, up to 20 plus degrees C and evenings are cold with frequent frosts.
View more detailed climate data for Johannesburg according to the South African Weather Service
Attractions around Johannesburg:
- Soweto - the most metropolitan township in the country, setting trends in politics, fashion, music, dance and language; a major tourist attraction south of Johannesburg
- Montecasino – one of Gauteng’s premier entertainment destinations located in the heart of Fourways, the Northern Suburbs of Johannesburg
- Emperors/Caesars Palace – a billion rand casino development in Johannesburg
- Johannesburg Zoo – established over 100 years ago (Jan Smuts Avenue, Parkview, Tel: 011-646 2000)
- Museum Africa – focuses on the culture of the indigenous people
- Zoo Lake – (Lower Park Drive, Parkview)
- Emmerentia Dam / Johannesburg Botanical Gardens – the scenery is magnificent and this is probably the top spot to go for a jog or walk your dog in Johannesburg (Louw Geldenhuys and Olifants Roads, Emmarentia)
- Mellville – suburb just west of Johannesburg, well known for its trendy coffee shops and lively nightlife
- Many shopping centres to visit, from the central and grand Sun City & Nelson Mandela Square, to Rosebank, Hyde Park, East Gate etc
Attractions outside of Durban:
- Gold Reef City - very popular entertainment complex with theme park and casino facilities
- The Kruger National Park, South Africa’s largest safari destination and home to the “Big Five”
- Pilanesburg National Park, only 2 hours drive from Johannesburg
- Magaliesburg - Stretching for over 120 kilometres and separating the highveld grasslands to the south from the bushveld savannah in the north
- Hartbeespoort Dam – Elephant Sanctuary (Tel: 012-258 0423)
- Sun City – world class tourist resort and home to the Lost City (below) and the internationally renowned Nedbank Golf Challenge, only 2 hours drive from Johannesburg
- Palace of the Lost City – magnificent and very popular tourist resort, only 2 hours drive from Johannesburg
- 2010 FIFA World Cup – Johannesburg’s Soccer City will be a key host city hosting the opening and closing ceremonies, one of the quarter finals and the finals, amongst other soccer games
- Ellis Park – Home to the Vodacom Lions Rugby Team and also host for the 2010 FIFA World Cup Soccer
- Various Golf Courses in and around Johannesburg, the most famous being at Sun City, home of two Gary Player designed golf courses and the internationally renowned Nedbank Golf Challenge takes place here every December
- Soccer – There are 3 main soccer teams in Johannesburg: the Moroko Swallows in Rosettenville, the Kaizer Chiefs (Amakhosi) who are based at the Johannesburg Stadium and the Orlando Pirates who are based at the Rand Stadium
- Wanderers Cricket Club and Supersport Stadium
- A1 Grand Prix – now hosted at Kyalami Race Track
- Pick ‘n Pay 94.7 Cycle Challenge
- Turffontein Race Course – one of the oldest horse racing venues in South Africa
- Sandton Convention Centre – Centrally located close to many major hotels, Sandton City and Nelson Mandela Square shopping malls (2196 Maude Street, Sandown, Tel: 011-779 0000)
- Gallagher Estate – The estate can host up to 8,000 delegates, secure parking for up to 5,000 vehicles and there are 19 venues to choose from (19 Richards Drive, Midrand, halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria, Tel: 011-266 3000)
- The Coca-Cola Dome – Southern Africa's most definitive multi-purpose indoor entertainment arena (Corner Olievenhout Avenue and Northumberland Road, North Riding, Tel: 011-794 5800)
- Expo Centre, Nasrec – with over 42,000 square metres of under cover exhibition space, secure parking for up to 20,000 vehicles and a main arena that can accommodate up to 20,000 people (Southwest of Johannesburg - near the Gold Reef City Casino, the Apartheid Museum and Soweto, Tel: 011-494 1920)
- Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE) - One Exchange Square, Gwen Lane, Sandown, Tel: 011-520 7000